It’s been a day of unwelcome developments in Italy, which is already the worst affected country in terms of reported deaths.
It earlier said deaths had risen sharply over the past 24 hours, bringing the total there to 4,032.
The increase of 627 in a single day is the largest since the outbreak began. The total number of confirmed cases is now 47,021.
Also in Italy:
- Police in the capital, Rome, say that from next weekend all cars will be checked and drivers asked why they are travelling
- Restrictions have been extended and all parks have been closed. Nearly all Italians have been told to stay at home
- Foreign help, such as a field hospital just set up in Cremona, near Milan, has been provided by a US charity. More than 100 soldiers are enforcing controls along with police
- Data from the country indicates the death rate for men is double that for women, the US says
- Infections rose on Friday by nearly 6,000, which is another international record