Midfielder Dele Alli has been named in Tottenham’s squad for their Champions League quarter-final second leg but will be assessed before Spurs decide if he will play against Manchester City.
Alli broke his hand in last week’s first leg but has returned to training.
City midfielder Fernandinho has trained after missing Sunday’s win over Crystal Palace with a muscle problem.
Sergio Aguero was withdrawn late on at Palace but is fit, although Oleksandr Zinchenko (hamstring) is a doubt.
Spurs forward Erik Lamela, who has not played since the last-16 second leg against Borussia Dortmund on 5 March because of a hamstring injury, has also trained and like Alli will be assessed after Tuesday’s training session.
On Alli, manager Mauricio Pochettino said: “We are going to have the last training session today and then need to decide if it’s possible he can be in the starting XI or on the bench.”
Serge Aurier (hamstring), Eric Dier (hip flexor) and Harry Winks (groin) are all out, as is striker Harry Kane after he suffered an ankle injury in the first leg.
Tottenham take a 1-0 lead to the Etihad Stadium after Son Heung-min’s goal in the first leg last Tuesday.
‘The tie is still open’
Spurs are aiming to reach the Champions League semi-final for the first time but Pochettino says City are still favourites to win the Champions League, despite their deficit from the first leg.
“Manchester City for me is one of the best teams in the world and a clear favourite to win the Premier League and the Champions League,” he said.
“For us to beat them in the first leg was an amazing result but we know very well the tie is still open and tomorrow is going to be very, very tough.
“But we have the belief that we are going to fight. Tomorrow is going to be an amazing challenge and fight. I am so motivated and excited.”
City need their supporters – Guardiola
City manager Pep Guardiola has challenged the Man City fans to create an atmosphere on Wednesday similar to the one when they beat Liverpool 2-1 in the league in January.
“I’m really curious how are fans are going to react,” he said.
“[An atmosphere like] the Liverpool game will be enough for me – a little bit better. I want to see if they [the fans] want to get to the semi-finals.
“Do it for the guys – the last 20 months, they are so proud with what they have done but they are human beings.
“They will have bad moments in the games and at that moment we need our supporters.
“At this stage, without supporters, we cannot go through. I’m expecting.”
- Tottenham have only won one of their last eight visits to Manchester City in all competitions (D1 L6), a 2-1 Premier League win in February 2016.
- The first leg of Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City saw eight different English players in the two starting line-ups. The last Uefa Champions League game to see more Englishmen start was the 2008 Champions League final between Manchester United & Chelsea (10).
- Manchester City trail 1-0 after losing the first leg against Tottenham; of the 32 previous occasions of a side losing the first leg of a two-legged Champions League tie 1-0 away home, 10 went on to progress (31%).
- In European competition, Manchester City have lost all five of their previous matches against fellow English clubs, including all three in the Champions League.
- Manchester City have won 23 of their 25 home matches in all competitions this season (L2), although they have lost two of their last three home games in the Champions League knockout stages, winning the other 7-0 against Schalke in this season’s last 16.
- Manchester City’s Leroy Sane has been directly involved in seven goals in his last three home games in the Champions League (three goals, four assists), four more than he managed in his previous seven such games at the Etihad (one goal, two assists).
- Sergio Aguero scored 10 goals in his first seven appearances against Tottenham for Manchester City in all competitions but has since failed to score in each of his last seven games against them; missing a penalty in the first leg of this tie.
- Tottenham Hotspur from were eliminated the last time they won 1-0 in the first leg of a two-legged European tie at home, being knocked out by Kaiserslautern in the second round of the 1999-2000 Uefa Cup (2-1 on aggregate).
- Tottenham have won each of their last three Champions League matches; they have never won four in a row in the competition.
- Each of Tottenham’s last 10 goals scored in the Champions League have come in the second half of their matches; indeed, 93% of their goals in the competition this season have been netted in the second half (13/14).
‘Spurs slight favourites’ – who will progress?
Simon Gleave, head of sports analysis, Gracenote:
This is the tightest tie of the four Champions League quarter-finals.
After their first leg 1-0 victory, Tottenham Hotspur are now marginal favourites with 52% chance of reaching the last four according to the Euro Club Index. Manchester City’s chance is therefore 48%.
City are still the most likely of the two teams to win the Champions League (12%) but Tottenham’s chance is up to 5%.
Whoever gets through is likely to have to eliminate two of Europe’s best five clubs to win the Champions League.
If Manchester City make it along with FC Barcelona, Juventus and Liverpool, every team remaining will have to knock out two of Europe’s best five teams to win the cup on 1 June.
Click below for: